Thursday, July 7, 2011

My Experience-Hot Yoga

A little while back, I got a Groupon for Hot Yoga.  Reading blogs lead me to believe that this was the most super awesome thing in the whole wide world!  It seemed like a  must do for everyone.  Since the price was right and the location of the studio was basically in my backyard, I hit the purchase button for an unlimited one month membership (I heart Groupon!).

I have to admit, I was scared to try it.  I was not scared of the yoga experience, I was scared of being grossed out.  Reading reviews of people's experiences with hot yoga literally had me gagging and dry heaving.  I imagined the smell of  feet wafting through the room and coming into close contact with stranger's sweat as it hits the floor.  I was also afraid of passing out or puking since I have no heat tolerance....I am after all a Minnesota girl.
Last night was my first night.  My friend and I got to the studio 30 minutes early as requested for our orientation.  We were greeted by an extremely buxom woman wearing spandex and a sports bra with red, blue, and green hair.   She did not have a yoga instructor's body and she spoke with a thick New York accent.  She also has a very unique name....the kind of name  reserved for the very artsy crowd and yoga instructors.   I was weirded out and it was all a little much for me.  I fought to keep an open mind but all I could think was WTF!!!! (I loved this woman after only spending 2 minutes with her!)

The time came for the hot yoga.  When I walked into the studio, the 105 degrees took my breath away. 
The instructor arranged us so we could be around experienced people since we were brand new to the class.  She taught the class by walking around correcting our form and describing the poses.  I loved this method because Pilates was not like that at  all.   The hour seemed to fly by and I survived.  I swear I sweat out about 20lbs when it was over.

The verdict:  I LOVED IT!  I felt great.  I was more relaxed than I have been in a long long long time.  I was completely surprised that I liked it so much.  I was in the shittiest mood when I went into it and I came out a different person.  No puking, no fainting, no farting (although someone else did and I didn't laugh...yeah me!).  I liked it so much that I went back tonight for another round.  After my Groupon is up, I will absolutely need to incorporated this workout into my routine.  Hot Yoga.....2 thumbs up!!!!

Oh....one more thing.....I thought yoga was kind on an easy workout.  NOT!  I was so sore today and I anticipate that I will not be able to walk tomorrow!

21 comments:

Amy @ FitMommas said...

I love Yoga and am scared to try Hot Yoga! LOL! Great idea though, will have to keep my eye out for a Groupon for some such thing. Sounds like you had a great time...and now I wanna try!

Aka Alice said...

Such a great review! I have all the same fears about Bikram as you described, but I have a friend who swears by it, and I keep seeing the GroupOn ads for a discounted month. I think when I get back from vacation, I'm going to give it a try now!

Megsie said...

I love yoga, but I have never tried "hot" yoga. I am jealous! I wish I would have gotten that groupon! I am intrigued...When can I try this...hmmm.

Megan said...

I think you and I are more alike than we think. I would totally have the WTF mentality. I'm so glad you loved it though :)

Haley @ Climb Run Lift Mom said...

I love Bikram yoga. I've been going for about 2 yrs and it's my favorite 90 minutes of Hell, lol. It's so funny how you feel absolutely amazing immediately afterwards but the next day you feel like you got run over by a train.
Great job trying it! Hope you keep it up :)

Mimi C said...

Just wait till you take a class taught by the owner. He is the best yoga instructor. I'll gladly go with you once the temp in MN drops below 60 degrees.

Beth (i run like a girl) said...

Ohh... I agree with Amy @ FitMommas - I love yoga, and either go to class or practice at home every week, but hot yoga scares me. I sweat so "effectively" (read: profusely, effective just sounds better) in general, I'm afraid I'll slip and slide on the yoga mat and strain a muscle.
Maybe I need to reconsider.

Teamarcia said...

Yes yoga can be SO darn hard! I wish there was hot yoga around here so I could try it. Bet my hamstrings would love/hate it.

CourtBase said...

Has anyone ever tried prenatal yoga? I recently tried it from some great how to videos on fitango.com! If anyone is pregnant or knows anyone else who is they should definitely try out those videos they are great!

Lisa said...

hot yoga sounds like torture to me...

WannabeRunner said...

Thanks for the review! One of these days, i'm going to try it. :)

dawn said...

I love hot yoga too. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

Stephanie Anne said...

I used to do Ashtanga yoga, which is a type of hot yoga and LOVED it! It was a killer workout and I miss it a lot, but gave it up a while back. Maybe I'll have to look into it again. Would be awesome if I had a Groupon lol

Anonymous said...

The key to hot yoga is drinking lots and lots and lots of water. I went to a class where they didn't stop for water breaks and I had the worst headache afterwards. Great experience once you get accustomed to the heat and sweat! :)

Delane said...

I love it too!!!!

Sara said...

Thanks for the review!! I've been wanting to do hot yoga, and have seen a few Groupons for studios in my area too, but I haven't tried it out yet. Too scared. Maybe I'll try it now!

termite said...

hot yoga?? sounds awesome! i'll need to look around, i'm sure someone is offering it here. :)

Sally HP said...

I was really good about going to heated yoga (85 degree room) in the winter and I felt AWESOME and my runs were better. Must get back! I have an invite to a Bikram class an hour away and reading this makes the trek worth it!

Elle said...

I am afraid of it, too but have friends who swear by it... the heat the closeness of the other peopel sort of scare me... I am a germophobe! :)

But glad you liked it and I think your writeup was great.

Cooper Heyes said...

Excellent! It's a great sign to enjoy tough activity like this. Seeing a group do yoga can be a great motivator, no? Sweating is rarely an odd sight there, since it's more or less what people expect during the activity. Once you get rolling, any sense of awkwardness gets thrown out the window.

Anonymous said...

colourful blog site results pages
http://wiki.mangotele.com/index.php?title=%D0%A3%D1%87%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA:ViolaClou
http://www.awesomedatingtoday.com/JerrodRay
http://www.theplacetobeishere.com/for_sharing/blogs/user/FGITawnya
http://ziing.com/index.php?do=/blog/519115/the-latest-located-on-practical-key-elements-to-get-parapharmacie/
http://www.kljb-koeln.de/kljbwiki/index.php5?title=Benutzer:TreyBurke