Tuesday, July 5, 2011

3rd Annual Independence Rocks!

Two weeks without a blog post?  That is seriously crazy, and perhaps it might be Chubby Hubby's dream if I my typing silent streak transferred to my verbal communication.

Happy 4th of July!  I am sitting here reflecting on the awesome awesome weekend we had with our family and friends.  I can't help but get the warm fuzzies being surrounded by so many loved ones to celebrate a holiday weekend.  We are truly blessed.  No, it is not just the wine talking....this time.

If you have been a reader of my blog for awhile, you know the the 4th of July heavily celebrated at our house.  Our town has a celebration that spans several days and the same goes for our household.  We participate in many of the planned events as well as throwing a few of our own traditions.  We attend the carnival for people watching, bad rides and mini donuts.  We have a crazy 3rd of July party.  Then of course there is the parade and fireworks.   The best part is....everything is in walking distance.  I have a detailed recap below.

The Carnival:
Last year's carnival was EPIC.  The people watching was maybe the highlight of the weekend.  The photos I took may have saved my place in hell, but damn they were funny.  This year, the carnival was tame.  No arrests.  No hookers.  No bad fashion statements.   I was left to find my own carnival entertainment and I found it in the form of an airbrushed t-shirt stand!  New this year!!!

I could have spent hours looking at their gallery.  I came across one with my name on it.  Chubby Hubby would not drop the $18 on this for me.  Hmmmmfp.  So I got one for him.....I couldn't decide between the airbrushed hearts with arrows and our names on them or the one with the mean looking wolf.  I opted for simplicity.  I got one that said "Donner's Girl" (my sweet pet name for Chubby Hubby)  because I want everyone to know that I am a taken woman!  Nothing says true love like an airbrushed tshirt. 

The carnival would not be the carnvial without some rides.  I went on two...the spinning bears and the tilt-a-whirl.....I was green and just about puked.  Thankfully, my brother was a champ to take the boys on the really wild rides (looks safe right?).

After the "Round-up", they weren't doing so hot.....


The Party:
I just have to sum it up in a few words....good friends, family, coney dogs, beer margaritas, creepy Sponge Bob bounce house, food, lots of laughs, and really really really illegal fireworks!!!!!  Thank you Mother Nature for the PERFECT day.  I am not sure what I would have done with 80 some people in my tiny house if the weather was bad!

The Parade:
My boys always love the 4th of July parade. Imagine their delight when they found out they were going to rollerblade in it with their hockey association! Imagine my surprise when I found out we were ALL going to march in the parade....even Diva was part of the fun. There wasn't a huge turnout and they needed help passing out candy. I got  the oh so very important job of carrying the banner. It was a lot of fun but very HOT!
  
The fireworks did not happen for me.  The boys and Chubby Hubby went to watch them but I was way too tired.  Diva and I stayed and watched through the trees at our house.   We only watched for a few minutes before were threw in the towel and decided to gracefully end the celebration by heading to bed and let the exploding fireworks lull us to sleep.  Even though we bowed out a bit early, this 4th of July was one of the BEST!  Can't wait for next year!!!!

I did more than just celebrate the 4th (read:  eat and drink).....I had my very first run with my oldest child. I like to think I am a great influence on him (patting myself on the back). He thinks I am the coolest person in the world because I run(yeah, so I may have a big head about it). He is signed up for his very first 5K in August. We are going to run it together. I am very excited because he is so excited. We went for our very first training run together this weekend and he did very well! Almost too well, I was struggling to keep up. We did a total of 3.36 miles and there were only a couple of walk breaks (probably because I needed them). He made it look easy and he is ready to rock on with more training.

I hope everyone had a safe holiday weekend. 

10 comments:

Carly said...

Sounds like lots of fun! And I think it's great that your oldest is running! I think I started largely because my parents ran so I know they were a positive influence on me.

Al's CL Reviews said...

Sounds like you had a great time!

Megsie said...

How did I miss you carrying the banner?? DAMNIT. We were sweating it out on the sidelines. Nicholas covets his spongy hockey stick by the way. Sounds like you had a fun time!

Cathy said...

Just can't talk my hubby into matching airbrushed t-shirts!

I love your people watching photos - I miss them! Truly - no one with something inappropriate written on the backside of "3 sizes too small" sweatpants?? How disappointing!

Looks like you had a great celebration!

WannabeRunner said...

Glad you had an awesome weekend! And that's so cool you are going to race with your son! :)

Carolina John said...

We actually had some people over to the house last night for a little celebration and watching fireworks through the trees. Ended up with a thunderstorm, oh well. Glad you had a fun carnival!

Missy said...

Sounds like fun! I love that you're passing your love of running onto your children.

Megan said...

OMG I love the shirt. Glad you had a great time!

and yes I'M BACK!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm in Hopkins working in EP :)

DaphneB said...

Sounds like an awesome time! And it's wonderful that one of your kids is running. I've been running with my son on his bike, I figure that it's good for him to be outside being active and I can still go longer distances. =o)

Tricia said...

so fun!