Thursday, August 18, 2011

Lifestyles of the Crazed and Overscheduled

My poor blog has been neglected for the past few weeks.  I have been M.I.A. from the blogosphere because of..............

BIRTHDAYS
We just celebrated what we call "birthday mania" in our house.  All three of my children have August birthdays and they are all within 12 days of each other. (yeah yeah....I know you are thinking it must be cold in November...haha).  We had 3 kid parties this year and one family one (remind me not to do that again).  I am so sick of birthday cake that I could puke.  This year I purposely ordered kid cakes that I would not touch.  That theory went out the the window....there is not a cake that I would not touch as I love them all. 
Happy 9th, 7th, and 4th Birthday!!!!

ACTIVITIES
Can you guess which dancer is mine?
Hint:  She has a tail.
I can officially add Chauffeur to my job description as I have been shuffling kids to their respective summer activities. Diva had dance and the boys had a summer hockey.  Football started on Monday.
Add Chubby Hubby's softball and my marathon training and our house is a circus because we have activities every night.  School is starting in a few weeks so at least there will be a better routine.

CONSTRUCTION
As of we aren't crazy enough, we decided to rip apart the front walkway and steps and replace it with new concrete. (by we, I of course mean Chubby Hubby, my dad, more family and friends).   What a job!  I have to say for a bunch of amateurs that did some nice work and we saved THOUSANDS of dollars not hiring the work out.
Before
After
THE DAMNED DOG
She is cute, but she is a pill.  She loves to chew on my shoes, steals socks, and digs big big holes.  She is still having issues with house training.  I know it is typical puppy stuff but I forgot how much work they are.  Any suggestions on a stubborn dog that is taking her sweet time potty training?  Bootcamp for doggies?

WORKING OUT
It is an awesome sign for me when my laundry has more workout clothes than regular clothes in it.  Lately I have been working out harder and longer than I have in a several years.  I see devil woman my trainer every week and she has a new custom workout for me to help with strength, balance, and endurance.  Last week she introduced me to Kettlebells.  I LOVE THEM!!  I was sore for 2 days after the fact but I felt like I got a full body strength and cardio workout.  I am scheduled to meet with her tonight too and I hope we do them again. 

I have also returned to Bootcamp.  I can't really turn down that workout since it is basically a free session with a trainer.  It is free, but vomit inducing.  I was happy on Tuesday night because I felt like I could hold my own in the class. 

Hot Yoga is still a part of my routine.  I decided to buy a package and go at least once a week.  I can't tell you enough how much I love this class.  I am seeing some major transformations in my body, but also in my ability not to bust out laughing men show up in banana hammocks or when someone lets one rip during class. 

But on top of all of that stuff.....my running seems to be improving.  Last Sunday, I ran 10 miles.  I should say I covered 10 miles.  I did my own version of the Galloway Method.  My intervals were 2.5 minutes running and 2.5 minutes walking.  As funny as it sounds, my pace was FASTER than if I ran the whole way.  For the marathon, I hope to increase the running portion and decrease the walking.  But I am flying by the seat of my pants on this one.  Getting a 10 miler in gave me some hope.

Although my workouts are going great the scale seems to be stuck at a number I thought I would never see.  I am a few pounds shy of my highest weight ever (maybe I ate more birthday cake than I thought).  Like I said, I am starting to see results and my clothes a little looser so I have some circulation around my midsection.  I am happy with that success, but I am a numbers girl and I get frustrated with the scale does not cooperate.  Ugh.  I hope that in a few weeks, the scale will have some mercy.  It is sad that I let a little gadget get to me.

That is my wrap-up.  The end of Summer is always nuts and it makes me welcome the start of the school year.  I am ready for things to slow down soon!

20 comments:

Megan said...

So glad you have come back to the crazy blogging world. I've missed your stories. You sound so happy an that's exciting. I saw leaves galling today so fall (schedules) is upon us :)

Al's CL Reviews said...

Welcome back! Great job on all the hoopla going on!

The CilleyGirl said...

Hang in there! I lost zero weight when training for my first marathon except for the last four days before the race when I GAINED thanks to carbo loading and drinking tons of Gatorade. I did lose at least a full size though, but it was difficult not to see the scale move.

April said...

Oh. My. Goodness! All three birthdays in August! I guess it could be worse..it could be December.lol!
You are one busy lady! Glad you still find some time for your self to work out!

Jess said...

Happy birthday to all your kiddos!

And goodness gracious, you need a personal asistant for all you have going on! How do you do it? I'd need TWO house elves to accomplish all that you've got going on!

Beth (i run like a girl) said...

A helpful hint... start measuring your waist circumference instead of your weight.

Muscle is denser than fat, so you are probably losing inches without losing pounds!

PS - Run/walk can DEFINITELY be faster than running. Nice work!

Megsie said...

I am crazy right now too, but it sounds like your work-outs are going so well! I am so happy for you! Yay! Happy Birthday to all of your kidlings :)

lindsay said...

whew - just the parties alone are crazy enough for me. happy almost school-time!

i wish i could get in a groove with yoga. i like it... but i'm still usually too bored during it/my mind wanders a lot.

Dawn said...

yes, I too am a numbers girl, and it is frustrating...BUT you are healthy and if you can run 10 miles, the numbers aren't everything! (I try to tell myself that too).

termite said...

i've missed you~~!! glad to see you're back!

you always have such great photos~!

xo

Aka Alice said...

LOL...I thought it was just me who disappeared every August!

I don't know if I'd be able to get through a hot yoga workout with all those banana hammocks and various sounds around me. I'd lose my composure!

Happy birthday to all the kids!

Miz said...

we so so crazy here too.

glad you checked in to let us know your fine and just harried :)

Fruit Fly said...

Wow, you ARE busy - but at least it all seems like a fun kind of busy .... maybe except for the whole home repair part. That seems hard.

Fabulous job with all the working out. Love it!

misszippy said...

We've missed you--welcome back!

Don't worry about the numbers on the scale--if your clothes are getting looser, you're doing just fine.

Lisa said...

our first dog we got as a puppy. i swore off puppies and got dogs that were over a year old after that. until our last dog, which i got as a puppy again, and AGAIN swore off puppies.... good luck with that. it's a phase that will make you CRAZY

Teamarcia said...

Sounds like a busy but fun and productive summer! Hips willing, I'll see you in TC!

Deanna @ The Unnatural Mother said...

I haven't been here in so long! So sorry!!! But great posts, I;m happy your doing the marathon, I know you will rock it! And awesome about the trainer - I loved my trainer when I had one, take advantage!

Miz said...

checking on you :)

Ingi said...

Wow - 10 miles (that's uh, 16km!!!). You go girl!! Marathon here you come :-) I'm impressed :-)

Julie said...

Hi Carly,
LOL! I know all about MIA! Great pictures...glad you were able to do family stuff:) Take care!