Monday, September 26, 2011

Weekend Wrap Up-

Remember me?  I know it has been too long since my last blog post when my father asks me why I haven't updated my blog.  Huh, who knew he cared?  I thought I had better make him happy and finally write something.

Since the school year started, I have been doing nothing but running and I do not mean the type of running that entails training for a marathon.  I have had a lot to blog about but these children require a chauffeur to all of their various activities.  When I am not at work, I am either at the football field,the hockey rink, or helping kids with homework.  I know this is normal life for most parents but damn, I feel like I need an award or better yet, a crown for maintaining this balancing act.

I am trying not to hyperventilate but Twin Cities Marathon is SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Since history has a way of repeating itself, I am not even close to being ready.   This time next week I struggling to climb steps and vowing that I will never ever EVER do another marathon (this time I mean it!).  I know I have completely lost my mind because I feel like I will see the finish line even though I cannot run a mile without stopping. 
Because I have gone mad, I have done a few things that I swear will help me get through this race.
1.  I bought brand new shoes.
2.  I bought a Garmin
3.  I got a marathon pedicure

The Shoes
About a week ago I did a 14 mile route and decided that I LOATHE my shoes.  I bought them back in the Spring but they still have some good mileage left in them because I have alternated with other shoes and really haven't run many miles in them.  They were not horrible enough to return but they never rocked my world.  At about mile 12 on last week's run, I decided I needed new shoes ASAP.  Right after my run, I took the shoes into the store and told the sales people my problems.  They analyzed my wear patterns and watched me run and it was determined that the type of shoe I have is not for me.  I tried on a bunch of new shoes and fell in love with an Asics model.  This is a problem because I am a loyal Saucony girl.  I asked the store owner if he thought I was nuts for buying new shoes/new brand a week before a marathon and he said "no".  On top of that, the shoes were pink and in a size smaller than I normally wear (vanity sizing for shoes! Woot!).  I ended up buying them based on that criteria.

After all that, the jury is still out on the new shoes and I will probably end up wearing my old shoes for the race.

See?  I told you I have lost my mind!

The Garmin
I have developed a run/walk interval that I am comfortable doing and I plan on doing it for the race.  I was scarred by last years experience when I was getting chased down by the sag wagon so I wanted a way to keep my pace in check (even though the bus my still be nipping at my heels).  I have to at least maintain a 13:44/ mile to be a legal finisher.  I wanted a way to monitor my pace throughout the race and started thinking about upgrading my Garmin.  I took a poll on facebook and the results were overwhelming that I needed this gadget.  I bought one and it is coming this week.  I call it my little security blanket.


The Toes
Last year's my friend had a crazy pedicure done to commemorate the event.  This year, I decided to do something funky as well.  My vision was to honor my alma mater, the University of Minnesota, by doing my toes in a maroon and gold theme.  I asked the lady if she could free hand draw a maple leaf and she said okay.  It wasn't quite a maple leaf.....



Hmmmmm.....I am not sure what this is but this design definitely has some school spirit mixed with some Vegas.  I have rhinestones on my big toenail!  I am counting on this bling as being a good luck charm!  After all, there are exactly 10 rhinestones which could signify my 10 year anniversary of my first marathon.  On a side note, no matter what you do to toes (especially mine) they are UGLY!

I am kind of feeling a bit Charlie Sheen right now with all of the marathon insanity.  WINNING!  Anyway, hopefully I will be back to more "normal" (using the term normal loosely) next Monday.

13 comments:

Al's CL Reviews said...

I'm not feeling so bad about D's shoes now....
I love my Garmin.

Toes look great!

Richard F. said...

Take the shoes to a podiatrist, they'll tell you exactly the kind you need. Or just chuck'em entirely and go barefoot.

WannabeRunner said...

Welcome back!

The Garmin really is a lifesaver - My goal pace for the half is around those times too!

Good luck on the marathon - can't wait to read all about it!

bobbi said...

I just got done changing my garmin to show average pace. Can't WAIT!

Ingi said...

They're my shoes!! I love mine, btw. Cool toenails! Love your comments about the sag wagon - I can't at this stage imagine doing a marathon, but I can imagine being picked up by the cut-off wagon!

RockStarTri said...

I'm starting to wear my garmin even when I'm not running.

Enjoy your race!

Claire said...

Enjoy yourself...that's the most important thing. You can finish...and you'll LOVE your Garmin!

Elle said...

LOVE the toes. And the shoes are cute, too.

Mary said...

Awesome Carly!! I wanted a running watch for the race and didn't splurge!! I love the idea of a race pedi!! Good luck, you will rock it out!

Miz said...

Laughed out LOUD with the "Im feeling a bit charlie sheen"

:)

Carolina John said...

Garmin's rock! You'll do fine at the marathon Carly. Nothing to worry about there. Just go out and run your race.

Jess said...

Love the toes!

Carrie said...

Love the pre-race pedicure. Good luck with the race. I'm with you on thinking us moms need a medal of honor for our balancing act. Crazy busy.