Sunday, October 2, 2011

Blogging From Urgent Care

Well I can add something to my list of firsts.......a DNF.  I am sure that you the reader are not shocked by this outcome, but I am a little surprised.  I am surprised because I felt AMAZING!   My legs were strong and my cardio was great.  I was even on track to PR or come pretty damned close.

So what happened?

Around mile 13 my ankle started to stiffen up and by mile 14 I had bone crushing pain.  I hobbled into the EMT tent at mile 15.5 and the doctor and Chubby Hubby told me that I needed to be done.   For a moment I thought about saying screw it and hobble my way toward the finish.   Weighing the consequences, I decided to play it smart and graciously drop out of the race.

Yes I am disappointed but I am not crushed.   I am
actually feeling worse that i came into urgent care right from the race.   Pewwwww!  (I am decorated as a MN viking and my doctor informed me she was a Packer fan......Yikes!)

I have a whole bunch of stories from the weekend that I will share in an offical race report.  Right now i am waiting to get an xray.  Hmmmmpf.....this is really ruining my post race feast!


21 comments:

Charbelle said...

YIKES!!!! yay for the strong start!!! Hope you feel better and recover quickly!!!

ajh said...

Oh no! I hope you're okay.

Lisa said...

well, that's not good...get well soon!

Delane said...

oh No, I hope its nothing serious...well then again, you had to drop the race so I hope it is something serious that has a short recovery time and zero residual issues.

Sorry, that suck. I know of DNFs feel and they are awful, worse than a PW.

lindsay said...

That doesn't look fun! Hope the diagnosis is as best as it can be!!!

RockStarTri said...

So sorry. Your fitness is obviously dialed in so feel better soon.

Running Librarian said...

Sorry for the DNF but there will be more races to PR on :) Get well soon! And you may want to start telling your doc that Aaron Rogers is really having a great football day and a great year..maybe that will win her over :)

Diana said...

Fingers crossed that it's not too bad! Sorry to hear of your DNF-but it's no joke and you're smart to step back!
How great that you had a "Packer fan" for a MD.....I'm sure even though you were dressed as a Viqueen, you still got decent care.....;)

James said...

Ouch! Sorry to hear about it. Things can go wrong no matter how well prepared you are. You might not have finished, but you did get to 15.5 miles. I hope everything recovers quickly!

Marlene said...

You definitely made the smart choice, although I'm sure it was a tough one. Congrats on making it as far as you did feeling strong. I hope the ankle is okay!!

misszippy said...

Oh no! What a strange thing to have happen. Heal up quickly!

WannabeRunner said...

Hope everything turns out ok - sorry about the DNF. :(

Sarah G said...

Ouch! That stinks! What was your diagnosis?

Megsie said...

Oh, I am sorry you got hurt! I hope you are okay!!

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

aww man I'm so sorry!!!

bobbi said...

But the coneys and cake were outstanding!! I hope you are on the mend in no time...it was awesome hanging out with you this weekend :)

Carolina John said...

No cake for a DNF? booooo. i say eat the cake anyway.

Teamarcia said...

Oh no! Hope it's nothing serious. So bummed I didn't get to meet you (because I wasn't even there).

fancy nancy said...

Oh no!!! I'm bummed for you! I hope you are better soon!!!

Stephanie Anne said...

Heal up quickly!!

Fruit Fly said...

Oh my goodness gracious, OUCH!!

At least you earned that DNF, way better than a DNS! :)