Sunday, October 30, 2011

Monster Dash and Airing my Grievances

I signed up for the Team Ortho Monster Dash 5K which was on Saturday.  I was a bit chapped before the race started because I discovered that the race was a not a race but  a "fun run".  I am all for fun runs but not when the entry fee is $41.49.  Team Ortho has a series of races and they are always well organized, fun, and timed.  It was my own problem that I misunderstood the type of race although it was deceiving....It was advertised as "Monster Dash 5K and 5K-9 Fun Run".  To me, I thought that meant the 5K would be chipped like every other race they have put on and the 5K-9 run was a fun run.  I was wrong.  Forty freakin' one dollars to enter this crap.

THEN...I looked at my bib.  It said I was 38 years old!  The nerve!  I am not 38 years old. Yet.  I still have 2 months thankyouverymuch.  (It probably was a typo caused by me, but it adds to my race annoyance and I will blame them, ha!)

My mood continued to take a nose dive along the course when people hit me with their strollers, I  tripped over dogs, and I got poked in the eye with fairy wings.  I especially enjoyed getting stuck behind a group of moms that ran 3 across with their strollers.  They walked oblivious to people trying to get around them on the narrow street.  People let their dogs run on a long leash in tight crowds of people causing tripping and tangling.  Then these same people would be horrified when their pooches would get stepped on from people running.  And seriously, there is none of this "on your left" business when there are shoulder to shoulder people and you are trying to pass with a double jogging stroller.  What set me off was some chick was running with a stroller, and hit me with it while she was trying to maneuver through a congested part of the course....her passenger was a dog.  That is when I decided was done.  Evidently the strollers and dog lovers didn't read the memo about starting at the back of the back. I started walking and actually picked up a call on my cell phone during the race (can't beat 'em, join 'em....at least I looked before I stopped and moved all the way over).  I finished my conversation and ran it in.  I finished in about 40 minutes.

I was in such a pissy mood that I found no humor in the very creative costumes and ignored the fact that it was a PERFECT day weather wise.  I am not a running snob by any stretch of the imagination and I love that there are tons of people that are running, but the lack of running etiquette drives me mad!  To me running etiquette is as simple as common sense and a little respect for others.  After this experience, I will not be so eager to sign up for races because lately they are not as fun as they used to be....especially with how spendy the race fees are getting.

What are you race pet peeves???

13 comments:

Lisa said...

i highly dislike it when dog runners in particular don't start near the back of the pack because dogs don't move when you tell them you are coming through and i've almost tripped over a leash on more than one occasion

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

I could not enter a race that allows pets. It seems that walkers (and dog owners, per your report) don't have the awareness needed to be part of a big event.

Walkers sign up in groups and are guaranteed to "race" in packs, side by side. That's my biggest pet peeve, don't hog the whole road!

I know that we all paid the same amount to be on the course, but at least act like you know others are out there.

Wendy said...

Paying that amount for a non-chipped event would drive me mad. Yes, if I pay $25 for a race, I am not bugged. But anything over $35 I better get a chip!

tchisu07 said...

Ugh. I think I'd be a little ticked too! My pet peeves are definitely people running more than two wide and terrible pet owners who think their dog is so cute when it darts out of no where into your path! I relate. Hope your next race is better. I bet you'll read more carefully next time :-/

Kelley said...

I've got to be the right mood for a "fun run" because I agree they are usually not so much fun.

Al's CL Reviews said...

I cannot stand dog runs. No one here cleans up after them.

As for chips...Atlanta doesn't seem to understand that entire concept.

I hate everyone, so just having people be at a race I'm in irritates me. :)

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

see i have a very long talk with myself before races like this... Amanda you will not worry about racing today, you will take in everything around you and enjoy it because no other race will ever be like this... then I knock down anyone in my way ;)

Marianne said...

I'm with the other commenters.... I run with my dog, but never at races. There are just too many people and neither of us ends up enjoying ourselves if he is with me for those.

Vaudiophile said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vaudiophile said...

I have written of my distaste of these people on several occasions.

I haven't publicly complained about dog people so much, because they're not allowed for races here 99% of the time.

The ones where they are, I tend to avoid, because, despite the fact my wife is trying to talk me into one, I generally hate dogs and I don't like a lot of dog owners (mostly the ones that think their dogs are "children" or the ones that simply view them as a tool for protection and nothing more).

The problem with fun runs is they aren't a run. They're a social event, and that's why I skip most of them too. Yes, I generally run with a friend, but that's so we push each other, not so we can talk.

Also, wrong or not, I realize that I do tend to skip races that are for female causes, just because they have the most incidents of this type of behavior.

You've also made me realize I censor my thoughts on my blog way too much these days. I need to get back to being more of a jerkface, like when I'm making comments on other blogs.

TNTcoach Ken said...

So did you win your 'new' age group????

Jess said...

I share all the same peeves!

Kathleen said...

I agree with you completely -- and I'm not remotely fast. If I'm struggling to pass long lines of walkers, it's an issue. Sometimes I'm surprised, though. My son got a chip at a race that cost only $15 (and then a free Indian buffet at the end). For $40+, you definitely deserve at least a chip!