Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Arizona Half Marathon Race Report

As I stare out my window today, I really wish I would have missed my flight home from Arizona.  It is a slushy mess outside because of all of the sleet and snow.  I guess it is February in Minnesota and we have been spoiled with a warm winter.  I am glad to be home but I really could use a dose of the Arizona sun right now. So now I guess I will just share my memories.

Arizona Half Marathon Race Report
This was the inaugural event and truthfully I was a bit nervous.  I have done inaugural events in the past and there are always issues that seem to come up that seasoned races have worked out (running out of water, etc).  This was really well organized, even with an extreme venue change.  It was originally supposed to be held in Scottsdale and then it moved to Goodyear...I am not familiar with the geography of the Phoenix area, but I can describe it as really really far away from each other.  The replacement venue was beautiful and we had the Estrella Mountains as our backdrop on the out and back course.

As a Minnesota girl, I thought the weather was AMAZING.  Sunny and warm....but not hot.  There was also a nice breeze on the way back.  At the start I stuck out like a sore thumb with the locals because I was running around in short sleeves while everyone shivered in their warm ups.  I think the start was right around 50 degree (if I had to guess).

There was something about this race that was so different than every other race I have ever done.....I didn't get my pre-race nerves.  I am not sure why because I was about to tackle 13.1 miles and I could hardly run a mile without wincing.  My original goal was to run 2 miles and then do a walk/run combo and pray that I finish before the 4 hour time limit.  I revised that goal when I hit the 2 mile mark and I still felt great; I pushed it to 3 miles.....3 miles turned into 4 and 4 turned into a little over 5 miles.  Five miles without a walk break and I covered that distance at a pretty decent clip (for me, that is).  I was ecstatic....I have not run consecutive miles like that for almost 2 years despite me doing other races.  I may have blubbered a little bit like a contestant on the Biggest Loser when I achieved this.

After about 5.4 miles I decided to conserve energy and do a walk run combo for the rest of the way.  I truthfully didn't care if I walked the rest because I had completed the requirement of my marathon training long run (5 miles).  I would run to a song on my iPod then the next one I would walk.  When I was revising my goals throughout the race, I changed my 4 hour goal to 3 hours.  Then at mile 10, I decided that I wanted to try to get under 2 hour and 50 minutes.  Low and behold....I did it!  My official time was 2:50:00.  I am still in a little bit of shock that I did it.
I even got a finish line photo.  Even though there appears to be nobody around me...I did not finish last!


Me and my finishers medal


Post race celebration

A surprise from Kelli's family
The rest of the trip was fun. I got to spend some quality time with my friend and her family.  We spent a lot of time playing Wii Just Dance.  Uff dah that is a workout!!!  Her son thought it would be fun to do a tournament.  He even made a double elimination bracket for the event.  I was determined to win.  I didn't care that he was only 7 years old, I was going to kick his ass and then gloat about winning for the rest of the day.  Well, I am sad to say he killed me in the championship dance off.  For the record, that Party Rock Anthem is one hell of dance and someone practiced quite a bit.  hmmph!


16 comments:

Losing Lindy said...

Way to go!

Taryn said...

AWESOME JOB!!!! This is so exciting!!

Are you running Earth Day in St. Cloud? I am thinking about doing that one...

bobbi said...

You are SUCH AN EFFING ROCK STAR!

Just had to get that out of the way.

Is it June yet?

Sarah said...

you rock! nice job and your finish line pic is awesome! mine always look so goofy.

TNTcoach Ken said...

There aren't even shadows of people in that photo! LOL

Megsie said...

Such great news! I am so glad you ROCKED that race, even if you are a loser to a 7 yr old in dancing...

Sarah G said...

Congratulations on your strong race!!

raulgonemobile said...

Awesome! Great race!

ajh said...

Congratulations! And you got a cake! I love cake - what great food for after the race.

Michelle Dragoo said...

SOOO proud of you lady!!!

Marissa said...

woohoo, way to rock that race and still have FUN!!!

Al's CL Reviews said...

LOL that you decided to beat a 7yo and still lost.

Congrats on the run!! Awesome job!

Chicken said...

Sounds like a great race. It's always nice to have a breakthrough like that! Going to enjoy some Phoenix weather in a week!!

kellie said...

I love reading your blog! As a self proclaimed chubby runner, I love the community of women who don't use excuses not to dream BIG! I live in Tucson (Vail actually), and Arizona weather IS amazing for running! I am training for my first half the first weekend in May, the Orange County Marathon. My goal is to finish with a 12 min/mile avg, and enjoy the race!

kellie said...

I love reading your blog! As a self proclaimed chubby runner, I love the community of women who don't use excuses not to dream BIG! I live in Tucson (Vail actually), and Arizona weather IS amazing for running! I am training for my first half the first weekend in May, the Orange County Marathon. My goal is to finish with a 12 min/mile avg, and enjoy the race!

ashley rebekah said...

i LOVE this recap! what a great race, and way to out-do yourself. you've inspirecd me that maybe, just maybe, i can also run 13.1 someday... we'll see.