Saturday, March 31, 2012

My Insanity

I just completed my 12 mile long run as instructed by my Novice Marathon training plan.  Actually I ran 12.26 but who is counting.  I was a little fearful of this run because on Thursday, my Achilles was angry and I ended up walking half of my 4.25 mile run.  I didn't want to push it and end up injured.  I stretched and iced for the better part of the week so I would be ready for today's journey.  Here is how it played out:

The logical side of me says....
1.  It is under "bus pace".  Bus pace is what I refer to as anything faster than 13.44 per mile...I have cut it really really close before.
2.  2 months ago, I could not run a whole mile without stopping.  Going from one mile to twelve is pretty good in my book.
3.  I have been listening to my body and when it tells me I need to take it easy, and I have been.  I am the injury queen and I certainly don't want to be sidelined again.
4.  I love running and participating in races.  I may be slow, but I am having fun.  I feel I have a great balance between family, work, and running.  If I did any more at this point, it would come at a cost.

The insane, crazy part of me says....
Forgetting that I two months ago I couldn't run a mile, I am really disappointed in the time.  I didn't want to see any 12's in the mix.  I need to be consistently under 11:25/ minute pace to reach my time goal of under five hours.  Yes, I have a time goal.  If I pull what I did today on race day, I will be expected to finish around 5:20ish.  Boo.

Thankfully I have great friends that agree with the logical side of me and help me articulate my real goal of finishing strong (and not half assing the training like I normally do) and enjoying the race.  There is no need to kill myself  for a far fetched time goal this time around.I swear the Garmin is making me insane and obsessed with numbers.  I am sure I am not the only one that has fallen prey to Garmin.

Aside from being a little bummed about the time, I did something different on this run.  I wore compression socks.  I have been having trouble with my calves and Achilles and I have read that wearing compression socks can help.  Low and behold, I think it worked!  I had very pain this time around and my legs just felt "peppy".  I did look like a clown because my socks were hot pink and I was sporting navy blue shorts and a light pink long sleeve shirt (not the right combo for today's weather! BRRRRR).

These socks really complement my ghostly white legs!

15 comments:

ajh said...

I ALWAYS go faster in a race than on a run. You can do it!

Megsie said...

Um. You RAN 12.26 miles without dying and your disappointed??

What EVER.

I am proud of you that is for sure.

Anonymous said...

U r an inspiration! Way to go!

Michelle Dragoo said...

way to go Carly! It's all about getting out there and trying your hardest...the numbers can surely play mind games on us!

Stephanie Anne said...

Nice run!! I love my compression socks too!

raulgonemobile said...

That's incredible, how far you've come in 2 months.

I think listening to your body is the best thing, schedule be damned. Knock on wood, it's been working this time around for me.

bobbi said...

2 things. Number 1? YOU RAN 12+ MILES TODAY. rock star.

Number 2? Today you were NOT racing. You were running your long run. Which is supposed to be slooowww. So you did it exactly right.

GREAT JOB!

James said...

Great job on the 12(.26) miles. You've come a long way in recovery fast. Be proud about that and enjoy the training/race.

CharisFaith said...

Good for you for listening to your body!!!! My husband told me yesterday that if I ran in the dark my legs would glow!!!

Congratulations on running 12.26!!!!

Lisa said...

Good job on your run. You're supposed to run slower in training than on race day. I think you may surprise yourself...

Taryn said...

Way to go!!! 12.26 miles....awesome!!!!!!

Marissa said...

such an awesome accomplishment...keep it up!

Shannon said...

You did great...be proud of what you accomplished...I have yet to go that far myself but I'm training to do a half in September so I will be getting there shortly. Blessings, so glad I found this blog...following you now...

Michelle said...

what brand of socks are those? are you happy with them? I'm in the market myself.

Anonymous said...

From Loved ones Fun magazine, this is a wonderful www.dalinsell.co.uk
way for your family members to build snowy versions of themselves throughout the next snowy day. MATERIALSCharcoal briquettesCarrotsApple chunksToothpicksSticksMittensHat and scarfChild's snow pants StickChild's winter bootsChild's mittens To build this classic Snow Mom, start off with a 3-snowball body. Add charcoal briquette eyes, a carrot nose and an apple-chunk mouth (secured with toothpicks).
For those uggs on sale Knitted UGG Boots who make these fake products, I have to [url=http://www.dalinsell.co.uk/]ugg Boots sale[/url]
wonder no matter whether they simply at a standard level of creative drive. Importantly, with comprehensive dimension are Knitted UGG Boots sale for girls and guys of all ages. I almost pity these who only manage the operate of an additional rather than copy invent their own.
Ugg boot Ugg Bailey Button Boots Key footwear come with a gentle polyurethane foam insole engrossed in genuine lambs pores and skin where you can versatile and light-weight outsole to provide ease and comfort while jogging. [url=http://www.mpboots.co.uk/]cheap ugg Boots[/url]
Given that they're wonderful basic colours, you are going to be capable to place on primarily since for a lengthy time. Standard hues, Ugg boot furthermore designed a handful of distinctive sorts for instance their specific leopard art print Bailey footwear.
There is a fantastic deal of variety accessible in UGG boots and one particular can have their own option of height, colour and style. They genuinely ought to not go on simply, like slippers. As soon as you have got them, and your feet looking and feeling very good inside the new stylish sheepskin boots, the nest step ahead is you need to keep your uggs searching as pleasant as about the day you brought them.