Thursday, June 21, 2012

So Now What?

Grandma's Marathon is over and done.  So now what???

I thought I would "Tri" something new.  I signed up for a TRIATHLON.  I am shitting my pants scared excited for a new type of adventure.  It is a 500 yard swim, a 15 mike bike, and a 5K race.  No problem, right?


I never really had the desire to complete a tri so truthfully I am not sure why I am doing this.  They look like so much damn work.  I am not going to lie, I am a bit scared to swim in the lake.  There are critters in there and I don't do wildlife real well.  Plus, I have seen one too many dogs take a dump in Lake Nokomis (gag).  Did I mention, I have not done an athletic type swim since high school?  Worse than putting on a swimsuit and swimming in a fish invested, shitty lake is the bike.  I have visions of myself wiping out or doing a Superman over my handle bars.  My on a bike is going to be very interesting.

As I type this, I am kind of questioning my sanity for signing up for something when I am not a fan of two out of the three events. So why am I doing this?  I have outlined a few reasons below that will serve as a reminder to myself not to have drinks with friends because they get me to do crazy things.
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time.
  • I am doing it with my friend Leah.
  • I was promised beer and cake afterwords.
  • It looks kinda fun.
  • It will give me something fresh to blog about.
  • It is something new and different and I want to see what the triathlon hoopla is all about.
  • It is an easy one for first timers (or so says my friend Jill).
  • You can use pool noodles if needed (yay!!!)
  • I would like to incorporate swimming into my routine and if I don't have an event that requires it, I will never do it.
  • It is close to home.
  • It is for chicks only.
  • I won't know if I like it until I "tri" it.
That is what I am going to be up to for the next 7 weeks.  I will start training at the Country Club (aka Richfield Municipal Pool) and I will dust off my 14 year old mountain bike and take it out for a spin. I will be a swimming (dog paddling), biking, running, fool.

Any words of advice for a Virgin Triathlete?

21 comments:

Megsie said...

See? YOU ARE CRAZY. Although, I have always been intrigued. I have always liked to swim. Don't even ask. I am tired after I walk right now. Geez.

Marlene said...

I had a lot of those reservations last summer, but I quickly fell in love with the sport. It is so much fun and you'll forget all about things like critetrs and being afraid of dying in a crash. :P

Good luck training for your first! I'll be following along. :)

Taryn said...

Hey, I am totally thinking about trying a "tri" too! I can't wait to hear how it goes for you!

Jess said...

Good luck on the tri. I did my first last year and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Jan said...

You will have fun, I did my first tri, Memorial day weekend and it was awesome.

Casey said...

good luck on your new adventure!! :D

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Good for you! Our country club is at the Y. Looking forward to reading about your adventures in training for this one.

Running Librarian said...

Good luck! I'm sure you will have a blast!

BitterHag Running said...

Awesome challenge!!! How cool that you are going outside of your comfort zone. Like you, I'm intrigued by the siren call of the Tri, but swimming with countless others and the thought of what lurks beneath the waves scares the crap out of me. You are much braver than I am!! Looking forward to reading all about it!!

Heather said...

Exciting! I think I am going to do that tri as a relay with some friends. I think you'll love triathlon - I swore I would never do one and now I think they are so fun.

Crystal said...

That's awesome! Way to go and I give you props for trying something new. You can do it :)

Calyx Meredith said...

Have fun! Don't worry about the critters in the lake - they get completely freaked out by the horde of swimmers in front and they stay far, far away. :)

Ellen said...

After taking a year off from Triathlons after breaking my hand, your post made me feel a little like I should dive back in.

And don't worry about the swimming - you actually can't see much (make sure you get tinted goggles to cut the glare) and it is over quicker than you think.

Square Lake in Washington County is a very clean lake that a lot of triathletes practice swimming in - great beach and you can swim in the swimming area or outside the ropes.

Good luck - can't wait to hear your training stories!

Anonymous said...

Rather it is an internet marketing like business. If you are not sure where you should be marketing your newsletters, you can start with creating links for them and placing them online. vpn hardware recommendation. Want to give it a go? The simplest way in making an obvious decision is to experiment with various platforms and then judge those that suit you better., egypt vpn order. Esto no es un sprint, es una carrera de fondo. xoom ipsec vpn

Anonymous said...

How does a dentist diagnose the condition? These are protein rich foods which you body will have an easier time to process, to burn and absorb the nutrients., vpn 3com. Our grandchildrenand their childrenwill thank us for living more sustainably. vpn software vista 64 bit

Anonymous said...

What is the problem? Once a teenager has undergone lap band surgery, road to fitness begins and this is the reason that loads of commitment is required., vpn utel. When one's teeth are improperly aligned they can easily crowd into one another over time. vpn windows vista checkpoint

Anonymous said...

But who would know that the original mitochondria were just the parasitic bacteria existing in human bodies. set up dhcp. Contextual ads, paid per click ads, search engine optimization etc. 500 gb server

Anonymous said...

The same camera does the entire "three dimensional photography thingy". iface lo inet loopback

Anonymous said...

If you are puzzled with something, just ask. The installation and cleaning is very easy. web server log file. Link building is one of the best tools that you can use to market your website and find the right places to reach the groups of people that you need. In this scenario, was left with two options., 103 mac os server v x. These things are often overlooked but a very necessary part of one’s outdoor garden. crazyms server

Anonymous said...

However, it is a rather simple procedure that many people tend to complicate unnecessarily., va healthcare network. Esperáis seriedad y formalidad. In addition there are different qualities of live foods. work surf proxy. Their behaviors can’t change quickly, how they behave the first time you got them is the way they can always be. hotel visita virtual

Anonymous said...

Also, make sure you powerdown 1 hour before bed. A lightweight or oilfree formula that will not clog your pores is best for the oily skin type. terminal service in windows server. It is going to provide a quick way to successful professional development and an ability to access exclusive expertise. Watch monkeys being trained to pick coconuts, learn how rubber trees are being tapped to produce natural rubber latex and know how coconuts are being processed for coconut milk and oil., ut300r2u adsl 2 driver. Look at the appearance and the labeling of sunglasses. roku media server