Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Unbelievable

Only three days ago, I was wrapping up Grandma's Marathon in Duluth. It was a beautiful sunny day when I left for home. Today, it was a completely different story. The entire city is flooded. They got hit with over 9 inches of rain!!!! To put it into perspective....one inch of rain is approximately 12" of snow!

These are just a few photos off of KQDS facebook page that show the devastation. The Lake Superior Zoo was hit hard, so hard that 2 seals and a Polar Bear were flushed from their enclosures and several animals drowned. The Grandma's Marathon course was a river! This is so sad for me to see my hometown this way.
 

7 comments:

Crystal said...

I couldn't believe it when i saw the pictures. It's only been a couple of years since i was last in the area and i will definitely have to make a stop there in August on the next MN trip. Craziness!

Diana said...

Crazy pics! We here in SE WI, just a mere 5 hours away are soooo dry.

Megsie said...

I saw the paper today. Have you? It is just so sad. :(

Vaudiophile said...

I was very sorry to hear about this. I wish we could have borrowed some of your rain here in Mid-Michigan and eased some of the flooding. Too bad it can't work that way...

MCM Mama said...

Wow! How sad.

lindsay said...

crazy! and definitely unbelievable. amazing what mother nature can do.

Fruit Fly said...

Oh my goodness! Clearly I have been living under a rock because this is the first I've heard of this. How terribly sad. That picture of the seal alone broke my heart - then to see the rest. Wow! Kind of hard to find a positive in this situation. I hope everybody recovers as quickly as they can over there!