Sunday, June 3, 2012

Weekend Wrap-Up


Friday I paid a visit to one of my favorite people in the whole world, my chiropractor.  I went in for a little tune up and to have her pay some special attention to my Achilles.  They have been tight and I certainly do not want to relive the incident from the Twin Cities Marathon.....an unhappy ending of a  big fat DNF.

She was a little concerned how tight they were and brought in the big guns....the Graston Tools.  If you are not familiar with the Graston Technique, it is ridiculously painful yet the results are nothing short of  miraculous.  Basically the instruments pictured are combed over your muscles to "catch" and break up all the scar tissue.    I think this could give water boarding a run for its money as a form of severe torture.  I am not going to lie, it hurts like a son of a bitch but it seems to always help me (I had this done for both my IT band and shin splints).

She tortured me and she claimed she did it lightly (riiiiiiiight) then sent me on my way.  She told me to ease up on the running this weekend and ice, heat, and stretch.  I am supposed to go back tomorrow for another torture treatment.  All of this is a reminder that I need to stretch more.  If I just took some extra time to stretch, I wouldn't be in this predicament.

Besides the Chiropractor and a run that was cut short (Only 3 slow miles today....Dr's orders!), the weekend was pretty low key.  I am not used to low key because we are always running all over the place.  Chubby Hubby was away for the day and I got to spend some quality time with the kiddos.  We went mini golfing and then came home and had some friends over for a "the momma's are gonna sip cocktails while you brats kids play" play date.  It was great to catch up with a couple of my girl friends and not have to go anywhere.

We did have a little excitement.....we have new neighbors that just moved into the house right behind us.  We are good friends with the old owners and this poor couple has no idea what they are in for.  I asked my friend who moved out if the ink was dry on the closing papers so I could let my kids out to play (they were on mandatory lock down to increase the value of the house....kidding).  Sure enough, by 9AM my children were out there drilling them with questions and trying to make them watch their kid tricks on the swing set.   Diva was out with Chubby Hubby when he introduced himself and she started screaming for me to come out and meet them as well.  I looked like a train wreck....I was unshowered and I had to scramble to put on a bra.  I stumbled out in some running clothes to make it look like I just worked out.  We chatted for a few minutes and then my middle child, honest to God climbed the fence, and asked them if he could move in with them.  That is when they looked at each other with a fearful look and said they had to go back to work.  Maybe bringing them some booze as a welcome gift is in order.

On that note, I am off to ice, heat, and repeat.

4 comments:

TNTcoach Ken said...

LOL, so you're the Simpsons???

bobbi said...

Yowtch! That sounds, um, ow?

And I am laughing at your kids attacking your new neighbors. That's what my kids would do to...

ajh said...

Love my chiro too but man they can cause some pain.

Solitary Life said...

Are you as funny in person as how you write? You should do Improv or write a book. You crack me up every time I read a new post. Laughter is the best medicine for us all. I enjoy your blog very much and have been reading it for along time.