Monday, July 2, 2012

Lake 1, Carly 0


I almost look the part of a triathlete in the photo above.  What you can't see are my water wings and floatation belt.  Alright, I am kidding, my kids wouldn't let me borrow them so it was just me versus the lake. 
I have known all along that my swimming skill are sub-par.  I do remember myself being a great swimmer in high school but what I do know is that swimming is NOT like riding a bike.  I have not done real swimming for about 20 years and I guess you could say I am a bit rusty.  With the triathlon in 42 days, I though I had better get crackin' on swim training.
I met my friend and tri-mate, Leah, at Lake Nokomis promptly at 9AM.  She wasted no time and got into the water right away.  Me, I was a really big whiner a bit hesitant and slowly made my way into the sledge color lake.  Ew, Ew, Ew!  I am not a prissy lady unless I am swimming in a lake....especially when I have witnessed a dog taking a shit in the water at said lake.  After a bit more whining acclamation, I dove in.  It wasn't as bad as my imagination made it out to be. 
My first goal was to swim to the swimming buoy and back.  I was kicking and moving my arms but I really wasn't going anywhere.  I felt like my body was upright while I was trying to swim forward.  I tried to freestyle and could not get my breathing correct....I am not going to lie, I had a few mini panic attacks.  Leah is a swimmer and told me that my strokes looked great.  I didn't feel great.  I could not breathe, I couldn't get the rhythm down and finally I gave up and dog paddled to the buoy and back.  We did the lap a second time and I am not sure what I did to get to the buoy this time but I was out of breath.  Swimmers always look so peaceful and full of grace in the water, I look like I am having a seizure.  Along with our swim, we practice running into the water a couple of times too (equally scary as my swim).  Total amount of time in the water....30 minutes.
Lake 1, Carly 0

(Getting in is the accomplishing something, right)


15 comments:

Caroline said...

You are so darn funny! One of my sisters just did her first sprint tri. She wants me to do one with her. I'm not sure if your posts are helping or hurting me with my decision!! Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Check out the Bush Lake Beach in Bloomington -- the water is nice and clear and sandy-bottomed. If I ever thought about trying a tri, I'd do my training out there. The lakes in the city are yuck!

christina said...

I so cant see myself trying in a lake- I suck so much water still! I have never been a good swimmer but I am trying really really hard to start incorporating it as my cross training. It is NOT going well! I agree, all the swimmers look so relaxed and like they can do lap after lap after lap but I can only go from one side to the next then need to stop and catch my breath. I can run a freaking marathon but cant swim a lap! I keep telling myself that I used to not be able to run a lap at the track and now its enjoyable... hopefully swimming will come to! Good luck!

Tammy said...

I used to swim like a fish when I was a kid. Last month, we went to the lake, and I was surprised at how bad I was.

TNTcoach Ken said...

LMAO, the title of the blog says nothing about swimming.......

ajh said...

I think getting in is HUGE. Good for you. I am lake 1, Andrea -0.

Megsie said...

I am a pool girl myself. Do they do triathlons in pools? I think you deserve the "ONE" because the lake didn't stop you. You got in, and you did your swim. Great! The journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single swim...er...step.

Michelle Dragoo said...

you got this lady...heck I couldn't swim 50 feet without gasping for air! so proud of you!

Carolina John said...

Hey if you got 30 minutes in the lake you're winning already! Great swim. The more you get out there the more comfortable you will get.

Lisa said...

It's 30 mins more than I've swam all year!

lindsay said...

Getting in lake water is a victory in my book. I don't trust that murky water!

Jess said...

You did better than I would've! I'd have sunk like a stone!

Abdur Razzak said...

Parenthood

We start off early watching television and then envisioning our American dream. As a child, we play with our babies, doll houses, and writing in our diaries. We start at the tender age of 4 or 5 looking for our prince charming to marry. Over time, we replace our crushes of princes and other Disney characters with real boys. Sometimes it is the boy that sits next to you in class or a movie star. Either way, it is getting you ready for that all important task called LOVE.........

http://www.richlymiddleclass.com/parenthood

Thanks

Health Consultant said...

Running is good exercise for everyone.
Every person who can do running, he should do this exercise regularly to improve his fitness level.

weight loss Rutherford

absolute health and fitness said...

Swimming has always been a good exercise. It improves our health and has lots of health benefits. :)