If I want to get to the point, I should just sum it up by saying I finished, I LOVED it, and I can't wait to do another. But being the person that I am, I want you to know every single detail.....but I will break it down in bullets. Before I even get started, I have to say that my number was "911". I could shake that it was a bad omen. My only goal of the race was not to have 9-1-1 called!
- I wore the "novice" swim cap. It was white and made me look like huge Qtip.
- The swim caps were latex. I have a severe latex allergy. It was mandatory to wear the provided cap. I wore two and my head felt like it was going to explode.
- I was in a "buddy wave" so we were in the 15 wave. Waves were released every 3 minutes.
- I stood to the back of my wave and started swimming as soon as I could. I did the front crawl (head out of the water because.....ewwww) almost for the first 150 yards. Then it was breast stroke, sidestroke, a flip to the back, and doggy paddle for the rest of the way.
- I was chatting with other swimmers the whole time.
- Yes, I can't stop talking even when I am in the water supposed to be swimming.
- One woman apologized for grabbing my butt. I told her not to worry about it and that I enjoyed it. She laughed, I laughed....it was all good.
- I probably would have done better if I just shut up and focused on swimming.
- I got out of the water and saw Chubby Hubby taking a photo (great just what I want, I photo of me half dead, dragging my sorry self out of "dog shit" lake).
- I saw all these people lined up so I forced myself to run up the beach. I am proud that I didn't vomit and that I didn't drop and army crawl. I saved face.
Total swim time: 15:58
I took my sweet time.....4:49
- Hopped on the Green Beast on wobbly legs.
- I felt my blood start to boil because I all I kept hearing was "On your left". I think I may have grumbled "I show you on your left" while resisting flipping the bird.
- I was peddling as fast as my legs would allow and I felt like I was going no where.
- Race official pulled me over at the 4 mile mark and told me my tires were extremely low. Here is how this conversation went down:
- Race Official: Your tires are REALLLLLY low, do you feel like you are moving slow?
- Me: Yes, I can't get this beast of a bike moving. My husband filled them this morning, I hope I don't have a leak.
- Flashback to the pre-race conversation at home:
Me: Chubby Hubby? Will you please top off my bike tires with air?
Chubby Hubby: Sure.
- Race Official: They are really low for him topping them off. You are going to have enough problems getting through this race on a mountain bike let alone low air in your tires.
- ME: Sigh
- I spent the better part of the next 15 minutes stopping and starting looking for someone with a pump. Finally found someone with a mountain bike pump and they put in a SIGNIFICANT amount of air. Like double. I couldn't help but want to punch Chubby Hubby because after I got back on my bike, I was pretty much miles behind the other participants. Well, not really but it felt that way.
- Finally I was moving and I even passed a few people
Total bike time: 1:13.42
Chubby Hubby was at the end of the bike route cheering for me. I politely (evil grin) let him know about the tires. That is when he indicated that the tires were quote "fine" and he didn't add air.
Time in transition......2:22 which included a mild domestic altercation.
3.1 Mile Run
- My legs were a bit wobbly and crampy after the bike. I did some walking and running the first mile. It was slow going.
- Mile two I ran a bit more and got a bit faster but still walked when my legs were cramping up.
- When I had just a mile to go, I ran as fast as I could into the finish.
- Finished in an all out sprint (which indicated that I could have pushed a bit harder on the run)
Total run time: 37:25 (grrrrrr)
Official Time: 2:14:14 an instant PR!
Post Tri Thoughts by Carly:
- Swimming would be easier if I could do it better
- Don't talk during the swim
- I need a new fancy bike and I think Chubby Hubby should buy me one because of the incident with the tires.
- Fill my own damn tires.
- Do a few brick workouts so my legs will know how to function properly
- By a silicone swim cap that matches the MANDATORY ones they provide
- When can I do another one?????
Today is Diva's 5th Birthday! Oh my God, where does the time go?????