Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Midweek Mumbo Jumbo

The events of this past weekend really amped up my running mojo.  I knew so many people that ran either the Twin Cities Marathon or the BOA Chicago Marathon and I have to say, I was a bit envious.  It felt weird not prepping for a fall marathon this year.   I missed the build up, the 107 different wardrobe changes, and the training (yes, that too believe it or not).  Reading my friend's facebook posts and seeing photos of the events inspired me to lace up my shoes and run.

Though I didn't run this year, I still went to the expo.  I am such a sucker for all the vendors.  This time I didn't blow a month's salary on new running socks or clothes, but I did decide to become a card carrying member of Minnesota Distance Running Association (MDRA).  The benefits include special MDRA member races, training classes, and 20% discount at local running stores.  Plus I got a dandy race planner/training log.  Now that I have paid $25 to be part of a running club, that makes me a real runner, right?   
 
My allergy results are back and I have a few new ones to add to the mix....wheat and whey.  My doctor indicated that these tests need to be "taken with a grain of salt" but he also said that I should proceed with caution on foods that test back with levels higher than .5.  Both wheat and whey tested higher than .5.  I am eliminating them from my diet (at least for now).  I am allergic to the following:
  • All Poultry
  • Shellfish
  • Most nuts
  • Most fruit
  • Wheat
  • Whey

Now I can pretty much consume....water.  How am I not a size 2?  Oh yeah, I am NOT allergic to McDonalds, chips, or booze.  Hmmm.

I have started phase one of my elimination diet.  I am on my 3rd day of being gluten free.  So far it is pretty painless though I have had a hankering for bread (Ohhh a grilled cheese sammy would rock my world right now).  I am using this phase to clean up my diet and dump a lot of the processed stuff I like to eat (crackers, chips, etc...).  I thought giving up wheat and gluten would make me a beast similar to the time I quit smoking.  So far, so good....I seem to be pretty normal (Chubby Hubby might feel different).  I will be interested to see how I feel in a few weeks.  I am keeping a daily diary of what I eat and how I feel.

So back to this running thing....I had a dream that I ran a 4:27:13 marathon.  It was one of those dreams that was so real.  It actually took me a few minutes to realize that it did not really happen.  After I was fully awake, I pondered the time.  4:27:13.  I went to my computer and plugged in the time and distance to calculate splits and it worked out to be 10:11/Mile pace.  Challenge accepted.  I am going to train with this time in mind.  I truly think I can do it after all I have between 8-12 months and 2 marathons to try to reach this goal.  That would be one hell of a PR!

I am running, just not very far right now.  My goal for October is to start base building and to be able to run 2.5 with ease at around 10 minutes/ mile.  It is a start.

10 comments:

Al's CL Reviews said...

I think my DH would divorce me if I were allergic to chicken. I'm glad you can still eat bacon and drink.
These are important things (I realize you didn't mention bacon, but it's bacon).

Good luck on your base!

bobbi said...

You can totally do it Carly! If you can eliminate gluten, you can run a 4:27!

I personally think the gluten thing sounds WAY tougher...

Anonymous said...

Can you eat oatmeal?

Tammy said...

Allergic to poultry? Wow. I would probably live on cheeseburgers.

OK, I'm getting back into marathon shape and running Chicago next year, and you are running a 4:27.

It's gonna happen.

Diana said...

I think you're the first person I know of to be allergic to chicken! Bummer....

I heard the Chicago marathon ran out of their finisher's medals....thank God I did Milwaukee's! That medal is some sweet-ass stuff. 4" round and heavier than one of my cats! Great "first" one!

Good luck on the time...I, don't put any time pressure on myself..I'm just thrilled to do it without having a stroke or heart attack! :)

Michelle Dragoo said...

I've been working on cutting gluten out...it is hard, and I too LOVE chips and BREAD. But I am committed to really trying...good luck hon! And WOO HOO on the 4:27...that would be a dream come true for me for sure!

M said...

It's simplier than you might think. Get Udi's bread (usually in the frozen organic section of Rainbow/Cub).

Trader Joe's and Bob's Red Mill makes GF oatmeal to ask that anonymous question

Ohhh and Jason's deli will make you GF grilled cheese! Let me know if you need help/suggestions.

M said...

Ohh i forgot to say, keep the udi's bread in the freezer. Break off what you need and warm it in the microwave for like 20 seconds. If you don't freeze it, it will get hard, fast.

Megsie said...

Oh, hell. Just drink the water. That totally sucks in my world where I survive on Gluten.

Good luck with the running base. I am totally rooting for you!

Jess said...

Wow, that's a lot to be allergic to! Thank goodness for the booze ;)

BTW, my kids' pediatrician once said that allergy testing is "part voodoo, part science." That has stuck in my brain!