Monday, June 3, 2013

My Longest Long Run

Well I did it.  I completed the 20 miler.  Though this far from my first marathon, this is the first time I have ever hit 20 miles in a training plan.  Truthfully I wasn't going to do 20 but thought I would see if I could eek it out....and I guess I surprised myself.  It went pretty well despite my sore sore muscles and angry Achilles tendons.  (Sore muscles were from volunteering at Olympic Day at the kids' school....I was on the Tug of War station and I forgot that I am not 18 any more.  Those kindergartners are STRONG!  The angry Achilles was after I had the Graston Technique done.  Ouch)

I mapped out a route that would take me to the Minneapolis Chain of Lakes.  I would run the 3 main lakes and then run home. 

These are my thoughts in real time during my run:

Miles 1-5
This is great.  Nice and easy....probably because of all the stop lights.  I love running in the city.   I also love these Another Mother Runner Pod Casts  Note to Self:  These are a great alternative to music.

Miles 6-10
Oh I forgot how much I love the lakes.  I am so lucky to live so close to the Chain of Lakes.  It is such a beautiful area.  I am still feeling great but there are a lot of people here walking these paths.

Miles 11-15
Now I remember why I hate running here at the lakes.....too many people to dodge.  If I trip over one more dog I am going to scream!  Get the #$@^ out of my way!!!  No more pod casts to entertain me and I can't get this iPod to shuffle! I love this song but I don't want to listen to it over and over.

Miles 16
If I have to stop at one my stop light my legs will not start up again. Oh I really hate running in the middle of the city.  Nice route I picked.

Mile 17
Kill me.  Kill me.  Kill me. Oh shit....according to my Garmin I am going to be a mile short on this run. #$#@@%!!!!!!!


Mile 18
I hate this crap.  This is ridiculous.  Why am I doing this again?

Mile 19
Left. right. left. right.

Mile 20
I feel like I could pick up the pace a bit.  Whoa, where did this second wind come from?  Oh look, I see my house!!

Mile Point 1
Just a few......more.......steps.....and.................DONE!

Dang that was awesome!  It is now taper time!! 

Somehow I made it to my couch and didn't move for the rest of the night.  Chubby Hubby and I watched the latest Sci Fi block buster  MegaPython versus Gatoroid.  The best part about it was it starred Debbie Gibson and Tiffany!!!  Please note that I am not into Sci Fi at all....these titles are a like a train wreck and you just have to watch!

6 comments:

bobbi said...

wooohoooo!! taper baby!!

(seriously - tiffany AND debbie gibson?!? where do they come up with this shit???)

becomingmegsie said...

Holy Crap! TWENTY miles?! You are going to ROCK this marathon! So happy for you! Now taper? Whatever that means...xo!

Lisa said...

That's a long way to run! Well done!

Soupy said...

oh honey, you make me LOL! I'm sorry it was sucky but YOU DID IT!!! Stronger, stronger, stronger! You are stronger! Only a few more weeks and it'll be behind you :) And we'll get to cheer you on! :)
Can't wait!!! How the energy chews are helping :)

Diana said...

Such a mind game these long runs are! Don't let them run the show, you are in complete control and you will be victorious crossing that finish line!
Enjoy taper time!

Allan Marsh said...

To get prepared for my long runs I usually take Navy Seal formula, which quickly brings me up. This dietary supplements is manufactured by MGNutritionals and was developed specially for the army, but it is good for everyone who needs more energy for active lifestyle.