Thursday, October 10, 2013

Twin Cites Marthon-I am a Happy Girl!

I had a lot reasons to be fearful of this 26.2 quest:
  • My tight Achillies tendon.  Still is giving me a little trouble and I am trying to be cautious and not make a problem worse by ignoring it.  That and I have know 2 people that have snapped theirs this year and it is not a fun injury to recover.
  • My foot.  Still hurting even though there the doctor was not able to find anything wrong.
  • New shoes.  BRAND new shoes to run 26.2 miles.  The running store I went to looked at my training shoes and told me that my foot issue might be caused by these shoes.  So, I bought new ones.  Not smart.
  • The calendar took over when the kids' went back to school and Chubby Hubby went back to work.  The result was that and my training was put on the back burner.  Weekly runs were few are far between and my long runs were a joke.  I had two good ones....August 11th and September 20.  The rest I either cut short, walked, or skipped all together.
  • The weather was supposed to be cruddy.  I can't think of anything more fun than not being prepared for a marathon and being out in the cold, rainy weather for 5+ hours.
  • Kelli was not able to run it this year and had to make the hard decision not to come up for the race.  It kind of through me off because I didn't do any of my normal pre-marathon traditions.

Marathon day came anyway.  Though I had the fears and was sad that my marathon buddy was not going to be joining this year, I was EXCITED!  I was excited because I knew several people running including my friend that WAS a marathon virgin and my humbly speedy friend that hadn't done one since 2001. 
Is that an inhaler in your bra or are you just happy to see me?
Nervous, excited, fearful...I had a plan.  I was going to get to the finish no matter what and I didn't care about my time.  I was going to take a tour of the Twin Cities and take in the fall color while enjoying every minute of it!  My plan was to do 3 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking.  Dawn and I were going to run together and planned on having a very long fun conversation.

I am not sure what happened but I was on FIRE (for me).  Dawn and I ran together the first 11 miles and for most of it we were well in front of the 5 hour pacer.  That is UNHEARD with my running.  I felt awesome though when we were running I felt that I was too winded to have that fun, giggly conversation that my friend and I planned on having. 

At the water stop at mile 11, Dawn and I parted ways.  I let the speed demon go and I plugged into my headphones and just enjoyed the ride....er run.  I don't remember much.  Lots of course support, some really funny signs like this one (my personal favorite):
Mile 23 I saw Sarge and if I could have cried, I would have.  Not because I was in pain (though I was kind of was).  It was because I knew I was going to beat my time and that there was not a school bus chasing my ass.  Sarge ran with me until mile 26.  I should mention how bad ass she is, she ran along side me carrying a purse and wore jeans, fleece jacket, and clogs!  I personally would have died!
 
The last .2 were awesome....I saw my family and all the kids were screaming for me.  I crossed the finish and started bawling.  I hit a personal record!  5:24:36.  It was almost 20 minutes faster than my June marathon and 7 minutes faster than my 2006 record.  I couldn't have been more happy!
The smile says it all....time for a diet.
  
Done!  Note to self:  Do not take photos with photogenic marathoners!! 
No longer a virgin!  Celebrating an awesome finish to her first race.

Other items to note:
  • I beat the juggler!!  If you remember correctly, I got beat every other year by the dude that juggles while he runs.  It always made me mad and I always wanted to make him drop his balls, though running whilst juggling is impressive.
  • My kids told me that Chewbacca beat me.  Yes, there was a Chewbacca on the course and yes he crossed the finish line before me.


  • BUT....I kicked his ASS.....by 11 whole seconds.  
  • FYI, my shoes were awesome.
  • Did I mention I had a personal record?  Woo Hoo!!  For the record...I do mention that all the time in normal conversations.  I am THAT person.
After I crossed I told myself that this would be the last one.  Well, that thought lasted all of 10 minutes because I have committed myself to more adventures in 2014!  I am sure I have more to say but my lunchtime goes by too quick.

(please excuse the bad grammar and typos)

7 comments:

bobbi said...

Freaking ROCK STAR!

2014. Bring it on!

Diana said...

Nice job Carly! Congratulations on a great run!
Love the inhaler shot! Cracked me up-I'm thrilled, as a respiratory therapist, that you were prepared!

becomingmegsie said...

Woooooooo HOOOOOOOOOOO! Congratulations! You broke your personal record, did you say? That ROCKS!

Soupy said...

OMG Carly! SO happy for you! WAY TO KICK IT, girl!!!! I'm in tears of joy seeing your pic! :)

christina said...

congrats!!!!! I just signed up for my second marathon and already nervous. I decided a new training plan this time around though - the hansons marathon method. Think Im more nervous of the training!

GREAT JOB!!!!

Анна Калинина said...

In order to make your runs better and better your body should be able to perform its best. I have found a way to keep good shape without overtraining and without exhausting my body. Right nutrition is one of the key factors. Still, sometimes everyday meals can not provide all necessary nutrients. That is why I am taking nutritional supplements. As I am strongly opposed to all kinds of chemicals, I was looking for the natural supplement, consisting basically of vitamins. And I have found the one - Second Wind by Military Grade. This is new vegetarian post-workout supplement which increases muscles longevity and keeps me toned. It helps muscles to recover quickly and reduces the soreness. Now I always feel prepared for my best runs.

jazz bary said...

Congratulations! Thank you so much for taking the time to share this exciting information.


Rheumatoid arthritis