Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Challenge Accepted

Can I revisit October 6, 2013 for  a brief moment?  I had a runner's high because I just obtained a marathon PR.  That high lasted a few weeks.  I was so love drunk with my PR and everything running that I signed up for not one but TWO more marathons in 2014!  In my mind 2014 was going to be the year that I cut my time to cover 26.2 miles to 4:30.  I had a solid base and my motivation was high.

Then the kids got sick.
I still ran.

Then I got sick.
I ran when I felt better.

Then it got cold.
I ran outside bundled up.

Then the hockey season started.
I made plans with the hockey moms to do races

Then it got REALLY cold.
I thought about running......away to Florida

THEN it snowed some more.
Then I opened up a bottle of wine and said forget it.

I am not sure if I dare utter the words "Spring" but it is starting to feel like it.  I have been out "running" (using the term loosely of course) but after the frigid winter and constantly being ill it is really tough finding my legs.  It is going to take a few weeks to brush off the cobwebs* from the bod.  I can currently run one whole mile.  ONE. 

One mile might be a great starting point but not when I have marathon in 10.5 weeks.  It is April 8th and I still have yet to complete a long run.  This is where most people will tell me to drop out and try again next year.  This is where I get lectured that I am going to hurt myself.  This is where I channel my inner Barney Stinson and scream:



I do realize that my decision to continue onward towards Grandma's Marathon is slightly insane but I have several great reasons:
  • It is not my first marathon
  • I am not going to win
  • It is not the first time doing this course
  • I am doing it for fun and don't care about my time
  • I spent money on it
  • My friends are doing it
  • My friends' training has also been in sucksville
  • Doing it for cake
I am disappointed that I am not heading toward smashing my PR but I am okay where I am at today.

*Cobwebs=15lbs of winter misery weight.

6 comments:

becomingmegsie said...

Oh, man. You're crazy. That's why I love you!

Lisa Isenberger said...

you're either brave or crazy. either way, keep at it! :-)

Carolina John said...

Do it! Sounds great. Go get that finish.

Soupy said...

*chanting, Do it, Do it....* I'm here to support you! Let me know how I can :)

Diana said...

Doing this marathon will be a breeze considering what we've "mid-westerners" have gone through during the 2013-2014 winter season!

Can't wait to see the post race report!

One Crazy Penguin said...

I'm doing Grandma's too! And I say do it! As long as you take it nice and slow, you'll be fine :)